Pages

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

A Stork's View!

Ok, so this post isn't about quilting or anything like that, but about being a mommy-to-be! (And its very long!)

Last Friday was my birthday and my wonderful husband had multiple surprises in store for me. As we were going to bed the night before I told him, "You should call in tomorrow for my birthday."  And he said something along the lines of, "I do have a bunch of personal time since its a new year, but should I really call in the first week back?" No he shouldn't.

Something woke me up around 7:20 a.m. I opened my eyes to a lighter room and realized that hubby hadn't said goodbye to me yet, so I rolled over and he was smiling at me. He told me that he had already planned to take the day off and that we needed to leave by 12 for a surprise. It's difficult to go back to sleep after news like that! But then again, I am working overtime to create this little boy inside of me so I didn't have much of a problem.

We got up, got ready and we drove clear to the other side of town for a massage!  For our anniversary, hubby got us a couples massage and we both LOVED it.  I guess he figured I should be needing one right about now. I've been having a shooting pain in my lower back every now and then that I think is my sciatic nerve. It was a little different this time, they had me lay on my sides due to my huge belly but it was still very nice and relaxing.

After the massage we went to get smoothies! YUM! I love smoothies, but there aren't any places near where we live so we usually end up making them ourselves. As I was sipping my yummy chocolate and peanut butter smoothie, we drove to the next surprise.

We arrived at a little place called A Stork's View, for a 3D/4D sonogram!! How exciting! We waited for the couple in front of us to finish up and they were laughing the whole time. They told us that their baby was being uncooperative and had its arms crossed in front of the face.  The technician told us, "No stubborn babies allowed!" She had had trouble with the last two already. We didn't think it would be a problem because during our previous ultra sounds he was very active.

We walked into the room and it was awesome, there was a bed set up next to a monitor and then a living room area with a huge sectional couch in front of a big screen TV.  They also had a very cute nursery style mural on the wall of jungle animals.

We got started and what do you know... his arms were in front of his face! He was not shy about showing off his boy parts but he sure didn't want us to see his face. She poked at him to try to get him to move and he would poke back. It was hilarious! She was a character herself but she kept telling us how much she liked him because he was so feisty.

She did everything to confirm the due date and how big he was and if he had hair yet. Her due date was dead on with what our doctor told us. She knew that I was exactly 27 weeks and two days pregnant. He had a little bit of hair already started. And the big question... how big is he? I have been so scared of having a ten pound baby, because my brother was a big baby and so was his son. My hubby was pretty average but his brother was very big too (he is 6'6" after all). At our last ultra sound, they told us he was exactly average. But I have been feeling like I'm bigger than average lately. Recently, I have met two pregnant women who are further along than me but their bellies look smaller. I know it all depends on the woman and her baby but it was really starting to scare me.

So how big is our baby? Average! 2 1/4 pounds and 13 inches. She told us that if I deliver within 5 days of my due date either way that the baby boy should be 7 1/2lbs. About the same size I was at birth. Oh what a relief!! I am trying to keep this in mind as I choose snacks, but then again she told me to keep doing what I am doing because he is so healthy. That is what every pregnant woman wants to hear!

I have to say that it is probably the coolest thing in the world to see your baby moving inside of you while you are feeling him move around at the same time. His little feet were just moving like crazy and he was grabbing them with his hand, it was adorable. And when we finally saw his face... it was incredible. My face hurt from smiling so much. It was amazing to watch him make facial expressions already; a little smile, a couple of frowns, he stuck his tongue out and opened his eyes.

At one point after the tech gave him a good poking we even thought that he flipped us the bird! We went back and determined that it was his pointer finger though as if he was saying, "Listen here, you stop poking me!"

We got four pictures printed and a DVD of the entire 20 minutes (that we've watched a few times already). As soon as we got home we searched for our baby pictures to see who he looks like more, and its a tough one! I could make an argument for either at this point (I think maybe he looks a little more like daddy than me). I just know he is going to be adorable!

I got to see my son's face for my birthday! Best gift I could ask for!

Daddy's baby picture - unfortunately it is the only one we have and it is tiny
The little guy!
Mommy's baby picture
Who do you think he looks like?

1 comment: